Hryhorovych-Barsky, Ivan [Hryhorovyč-Bars’kyj], b 1713 in Kyiv, d 1785 in Kyiv. (Portrait: Ivan Hryhorovych-Barsky.) Architect of the Ukrainian or Cossack baroque style; brother of Vasyl Hryhorovych-Barsky. A graduate of the Kyivan Mohyla Academy, he designed many buildings in Kyiv: the church and belfry of Saint Cyril's Monastery Church (1750–60, destroyed by the Soviet regime), the Church of the Holy Protectress (1766), the Church of Saint Nicholas on the Bank (1772–5), the belfry of Saints Peter and Paul Monastery (1761–3), the Old Bursa of the Kyivan Mohyla Academy (1778), the Hostynyi Dvir warehouse (1760s), and the Magistrat grain warehouse (1760). His work was not confined to Kyiv: in Lemeshi near Chernihiv he built the Church of the Three Saints (1761), and in Kozelets, the Regimental Chancellery building (1757) and the Cathedral of the Nativity of the Mother of God (1752–64, in collaboration with Andrei Kvasov). He adapted the architectural tradition of the Eastern church to the demands of his period and created new and original buildings.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 2 (1989).]