Institute of Hydrobiology of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
Institute of Hydrobiology of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (Інститут гідробіології НАНУ; Instytut hidrobiolohiї NANU). A scientific research institute at the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine in Kyiv. It was established in 1939 on the basis of the Dnipro Biological Station of the USSR Academy of Sciences (est 1909). In the wake of the German-Soviet war, in October 1941, the institute was temporarily merged with the Institute of Zoology of the Academy of Sciences of the Ukrainian SSR and the Institute of Microbiology of the Academy of Sciences of the Ukrainian SSR under the name of the Institute of Zoobiology of the Academy of Sciences of the Ukrainian SSR. Soon afterward it was evacuated to Ufa, RSFSR. Due to the fact that only a small portion of the three institutes’ prewar staff was evacuated, the amalgamated institute had only three departments.
The institute was reinstated in Kyiv after the Second World War. It has 13 departments, 3 laboratories, 4 experimental bases and stations, 2 large research ships, and a small fleet of vessels. Its scientists (over 100 in 1985) conduct research in hydrobiology, limnology, ichthyology, hydrochemistry, water management and ecology, algology, toxicology, and parasitology; they study the biological resources and industrial pollution of Ukraine’s water bodies and canals and develop methods for improving or correcting them. The institute publishes the bimonthly journal Hidrobiolohichnyi zhurnal (1965–; until 2020 published as Gidrobiologicheskii zhurnal). Its directors have been Yakiv Roll (1939–59), Oleksander Topachevsky (1959–73), L. Sirenko (1974–5), V. Maliuk (1975–9), and V. Romanenko (1979–2016), and Serhii Afanasiev (2016–).
[This article was updated in 2022.]