Kerkinitis [Керкінітида]. (Map: Greek colonies on northern Black Sea coast.) An Ionic polis (see Ancient states on the northern Black Sea coast) founded at the turn of the 5th century BC on the western coast of the Crimea on the site of present-day Yevpatoriia. It flourished in the 4th and 3rd centuries BC, when it came under the control of Chersonese Taurica. It was destroyed by the Huns in the 4th century AD. Excavations carried out in 1917–18, 1929, and 1950 uncovered a part of the city wall, streets, and the remains of buildings.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 2 (1988).]