Khliborob (Lubny)

Khliborob (Lubny) (Farmer). The first newspaper in Russian-ruled Ukraine to appear in the Ukrainian language. A weekly aimed at farmers and peasants, it was published without official permission in Lubny, Poltava gubernia, in November and December 1905 by the local Ukrainian hromada. Its publisher was Volodymyr Shemet. The fourth issue was confiscated, and with the appearance of the fifth issue the paper was banned by the authorities. Its maximum circulation was estimated to be 5,000.

[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 2 (1989).]




List of related links from Encyclopedia of Ukraine pointing to Khliborob (Lubny) entry:


A referral to this page is found in 2 entries.















Click Home to get to the IEU Home page; to contact the IEU editors click Contact.
To learn more about IEU click About IEU and to view the list of donors and to become an IEU supporter click Donors.  
 

©2001 All Rights Reserved. Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies.