Kirovohrad State Pedagogical University
Kirovohrad State Pedagogical University (Кіровоградський державний педагогічний унівеситет ім. В. Винниченка; Kirovohradskyi derzhavnyi pedahohichnyi universytet im. V. Vynnychenka). An institution of higher learning in Kropyvnytskyi. At first a pedagogical tekhnikum (established 1923), it was reorganized into an institute of social education in 1930 and into a pedagogical institute in 1933 before assuming its present form in 1997. The university has eight faculties—physics and mathematics, philology and journalism, history and law, psychology and pedagogy, foreign languages, nature and geography, fine arts, physical education—and three departmentsa pharmaceutical department and extension department offering preparatory, correspondence, and distance-learning courses. Its enrollment was approximately 6,500 (2009). The institute's library holdings number nearly 1,000,000.
[This article was updated in 2009.]