Korostyshiv [Коростишів; Korostyšiv]. Map: III-10. City (2012 pop 25,783) and raion center in Zhytomyr oblast, situated on the Teteriv River in eastern Volhynia. It was first mentioned in the 15th century. During the Cossack-Polish War it was briefly a company town in Bila Tserkva regiment in 1649. It was granted the rights of Magdeburg law in 1779. In the 19th century it was a popular health resort. In the summer of 1919 units of the Army of the Ukrainian National Republic defended the town from invading Bolshevik forces. A cotton mill, the Elektroprylad plant, and granite quarrying play an important role in its economy.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 2 (1988).]