Krasnohrad. Map: IV-16. City (2001 pop 22,700) and raion center in Kharkiv oblast. In 1731 the Bielovska Fortress, which became the seat of the Ukrainian Line of frontier fortifications, was erected at its site. In 1784 the fortress became the town of Kostiantynohrad. In the 18th and 19th century it produced textiles, especially silk. The town kept this name until 1922; from 1802 to 1917 it was a county town in Poltava gubernia. Today Krasnohrad is a railroad junction. It has a food industry, building-materials industry, and a mechanized-agriculture tekhnikum.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 2 (1989).]