Kyiv Archeological Institute
Kyiv Archeological Institute (Київський археологічний інститут; Kyivskyi arkheolohichnyi instytut). An institution of higher learning founded in 1918 by a group of Kyiv University professors headed by Mytrofan Dovnar-Zapolsky. At first the institute had two departments—archeology-history and archeography—and was one of the few institutions in Ukraine offering instruction in these disciplines. Reorganized several times beginning in 1920, in 1922 it was officially subordinated to the Ukrainian Academy of Sciences and Fedir Schmit was appointed director. Other prominent scholars associated with the institute included Serhii Maslov, Danylo Shcherbakivsky, Hryhorii Pavlutsky, and Nataliia Polonska-Vasylenko. The institute was abolished in 1925.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 2 (1988).]