Kyiv Central Archive of Old Documents
Kyiv Central Archive of Old Documents (Київський центральний архів давніх актів; Kyivskyi Tsentralnyi arkhiv davnikh aktiv). An archive founded in 1852 as the Central Archive of Old Record Books at Kyiv University by the Temporary Commission for the Analysis of Old Documents (later the Kyiv Archeographic Commission) to collect and preserve 15th- to 18th-century documents, charters, and archives from Right-Bank Ukraine. By 1890 the archive contained 5,883 court record books and some 500,000 other documents. The material in the archive was used by the commission in the compilation and publication of Arkhiv Iugo-zapadnoi Rossii and its other publications. From 1921 to 1923 it was under the jurisdiction of the All-Ukrainian Academy of Sciences and after that, the state archival system. In the interwar years the archive assumed the name of Kyiv Central Archive of Old Documents and was enriched with other valuable documents and several family archives. During the Second World War, many of the documents were destroyed and part of the archive was taken by the Germans to the West. Most of the evacuated materials were recovered and returned to Kyiv, where they are now housed in the Central State Historical Archive in Kyiv.
Romanovs'kyi, V. (ed). Tsentral'nyi arkhiv starodavnikh aktivu Kyievi. Zbirnyk stattiv (Kyiv 1929)
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 2 (1988).]