Luhansk Regional Studies Museum
Luhansk Regional Studies Museum [Луганський обласний краєзнавчий музей; Luhanskyi oblasnyi kraieznavchyi muzei]. A regional studies museum founded in Luhansk in 1920. In 1938 it was named the Voroshylovhrad Regional Studies Museum. Most of its collections were destroyed during the Second World War. After the war the museum was rebuilt. In 1990 it assumed its current name. The museum’s collection includes over 180,000 items preserved in seven departments: natural science, prehistory (archeology), people’s heritage (ethnography), the revolutionary period of 1917–22, the Luhansk region in the 1920s–40s, the Luhansk region during the Second World War, and the contemporary Luhansk region. Branches of the museum are also located in Starobilsk, Sverdlovsk, Novopskovsk, Stanytsia Luhanska, Alchevsk, Pervomaisk (Luhansk oblast), Rovenky. Guides to the museum were published in 1963, 1968, 1977, and 1980.
[This article was updated in 2014.]