Lviv National University of Veterinary Medicine and Biotechnology
Lviv National University of Veterinary Medicine and Biotechnology [Львівський національний університет ветеринарної медицини та біотехнологій ім. С. Ґжицького; Lvivskyi natsionalnyi universytet veterynarnoi medytsyny ta biotekhnolohii im. S. Gzhytskoho]. An institution of higher learning located in Lviv. It was established under the name Lviv Zootechnical-Veterinary Institute in 1939 out of the Academy of Veterinary Medicine, which itself was organized in 1897 out of the Lviv Veterinary School (est 1881). In 1992 the institure was renamed the Lviv Academy of Veterinary Medicine. In 2003 it was granted the national university status and assumed its present name. The university consists of five faculties (veterinary medicine, biotechnology, food science and ecology, economy and management, and correspondence courses), two experimental farms, two laboratories, a research sector, and a large library. The university is known for its research in areas such as the prevention of animal sterility, the treatment of metabolic disorders and poisoning, and raising animal productivity.
[This article was updated in 2016.]