Lviv Oblast Academic Ukrainian Music and Drama Theater
Lviv Oblast Academic Ukrainian Music and Drama Theater (Львівський обласний академічний український музично-драматичний театр ім. Ю. Дрогобича; Lvivskyi oblasnyi akademichnyi ukrainskyi muzychno-dramatychnyi teatr im. Yu. Drohobycha). A theater established in Drohobych in 1939. The cast originally consisted of local amateurs and young actors from eastern Ukraine. In 1941–4 the theater was reorganized into a professional musical-drama theater, with the directors Roman Tymchuk and, later, Yosyp Stadnyk, the musical director Bohdan Piurko, and the administrator Yurii Sherehii, and a varied repertoire, including Mariia Tsukanova’s Prolisky (The Snowdrops), Yurii Kosach’s Obloha (The Siege), Franz Lehár’s The Land of Smiles, and Mykola Arkas’s Kateryna. After the Seecond World War the theater was reinstated as the Drohobych Oblast Music and Drama Theater. Its repertoire was dominated by Soviet Ukrainian and Russian plays. In 1970 it was renamed the Lviv Oblast Ukrainian Music and Drama Theater and named after the Communist journalist and writer Yaroslav Halan. The theater aws reorganized under the directorship of Ya. Babii (1986–92) and in 1990 was renamed in honour of the Renaissance scholar Yurii Drohobych. In 2009 the theater was granted an academic theater status and assumed its present name. In 2007 O. Korol became the theater’s artistic director.
[This article was updated in 2016.]