Makiivka [Макіївка; Makijivka]. Map: DBIII-3. A city (2014 pop 351,820) on the Hruzka River in Donetsk oblast. Makiivka village was first mentioned in historical documents in 1777. In 1875–7 several small mines were opened there. In 1920 Makiivka and Dmytriievske villages were merged to form the city of Dmytriievske, which in 1931 was renamed Makiivka. During the industrialization drive of the 1930s, the city's population rose from 79,000 (1926) to 242,000 (1939). After the Second World War Makiivka was rebuilt, and by 1959 its population had reached 381,000. Today it is a major coal-mining and metallurgical center and a railway junction. It has 18 coal mines and 4 enrichment plants, the large Makiivka Metallurgical Plant, a tube plant, the Donbas National Academy of Civil Engineering and Architecure, a regional studies museum, and a metallurgical museum. Several kurhans from the Bronze Age, the Scythian period, and the 9th to 13th centuries AD have been excavated near Makiivka.
[This article was updated in 2014.]