Maksaky Transfiguration Monastery
Maksaky Transfiguration Monastery (Максаківський Преображенський монастир; Maksakivskyi Preobrazhenskyi monastyr). A monastery on the Desna River near Maksaky, now in Mena raion, Sosnytsia district, Chernihiv oblast. It was founded by Adam Kysil in 1642 as a men’s monastery. After 27 years of vacancy it reopened in 1803; in 1829 it was converted into a women’s convent. In the early 20th century it had 20 nuns and 15 novices. The monastery’s main church was built in the late 17th to early 18th century. The monastery was dismantled by the Soviet authorities in the 1930s.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]