Markevych, Hryhorii [Маркевич, Григорій; Markevyč, Hryhorij], b 24 December 1849 in Voronky, Lokhvytsia county, Poltava gubernia, d 15 April 1923 in Poltava. Civic leader, educator, and writer. A graduate of Kyiv Theological Academy (1871), he was an inspector at Poltava Girl’s School and served on Poltava’s municipal council. He organized a printing press and bookstore in the city, where he published the newspaper Ridnyi krai, Ukrainian textbooks, and the works of Ukrainian writers, such as Ivan Karpenko-Kary, Marko Kropyvnytsky, and Adriian Kashchenko. He was one of the initiators of the Ivan Kotliarevsky monument and school in Poltava. His writings include a study of the elective principle in the history of the Ukrainian church and some poetry.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]