Marshal-commissioner court (маршалківсько-комісарський суд; marshalkivsko-komisarskyi sud). An appellate court in Left-Bank Ukraine that heard appeals of decisions of the pidkomorski courts. The courts evolved from the marshal and commissioner courts, which were central state institutions in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Their decisions could be appealed directly to the grand duke. Marshal-commissioner courts consisted of the county marshal of the nobility, who presided over the court, and commissioners appointed by the hetman or Little Russian Collegium. According to the Lithuanian Statute, their decisions could not be contested. From 1801 their rulings could be appealed to the General Little Russian Court or the Russian Senate, if the commissioners were appointed without the consent of both parties. The marshal-commissioner courts were abolished in 1861.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]