Mykolaiv Regional Studies Museum
Mykolaiv Regional Studies Museum [Миколаївський краєзнавчий музей; Mykolaivskyi kraieznavchyi muzei]. A regional studies museum established in Mykolaiv in 1950 on the basis of the Mykolaiv City Natural Science and Regional Museum (est 1913) and the Mykolaiv Historical-Archeological Museum, which had been destroyed during the Second World War. The museum’s exhibitions, based on holdings of over 160,000 items, pertain to the natural environment, archeology, and history of Mykolaiv and Mykolaiv oblast. The museum also has a sizable collection of minerals, stuffed animals, and butterflies and moths from around the world. It administers several other museums, including the Ochakiv Historical Museum (est 1966) and the Mykolaiv Shipbuilding and Naval Museum (est 1978). Guidebooks to the museum have been published in Ukrainian (1962) and Russian (1979, 1980).
[This article was updated in 2015.]