Novomoskovsk [Новомосковськ; Novomoskovs’k]. Map: V-16. A city (2011 pop 70,547) on the Samara River and a raion center in Dnipropetrovsk oblast. A Cossack settlement was established at the site in the second half of the 16th century, and eventually it became known as Novoselytsia (or Samarchyk). In 1784 the village was raised to city status and renamed Novomoskovsk. From 1796 it was a county town in New Russia gubernia, and from 1802 it was part of Katerynoslav gubernia. Today it manufactures large pipes used for gas and oil pipelines, reinforced-concrete structures, and furniture. It is the home of the famous nine-domed Trinity Cathedral, constructed of wood by Yakym Pohrebniak in 1773–81. The Samara Saint Nicholas’s Pustyn Monastery, established by the Zaporozhian Cossacks in the late 16th century, is located near Novomoskovsk.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]