Rava-Ruska [Рава-Руська; Rava-Rus'ka]. Map: III-4. A town (2013 pop 8,426) on the Rata River in Zhovkva raion, Lviv oblast. It is first mentioned in historical documents in 1455, when it was under Polish rule. In the early 17th century it obtained the rights of Magdeburg law. A church brotherhood arose there in 1707. After the partition of Poland in 1772, the town belonged to Austria. It began to grow when two railway lines were laid through it in 1887, and it had reached a population of 9,000 by 1900. In the interwar period Rava-Ruska was ruled by Poland, and after the Second World War became part of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic. Today it is an industrial and transportation center. Its main industry is food processing.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 4 (1993).]