Sabov, Yevmenii [Сабов, Євменій], b 1 October 1859 in Verbiazh, Bereg komitat, Transcarpathia, d 3 November 1934 in Sevliush, Transcarparhia. Greek Catholic priest, educator, and Russophile leader. After his ordination (1885) he taught Ruthenian language at Uzhhorod gymnasium (1887–98) and was active in the Society of Saint Basil the Great and the Uniia educational and publishing company. In Uzhhorod he cofounded the newspaper Nauka (1897–1922). After the First World War he served as honorary president of the Dukhnovych Society (1923–34) and edited the journal Karpatskii svet (1928–38). He wrote a number of grammars and collections, which were approved by the Hungarian authorities and used widely in schools. He advocated a distinctive literary language for Transcarpathian Ukrainians, based on yazychiie, Russian, and Transcarpathian dialects.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 4 (1993).]