Snihursky, Ivan [Снігурський, Іван; Snihurs’kyj], b 8 May 1784 in Berestiany, Sambir circle, Galicia, d 24 April 1847 in Peremyshl. Church and cultural leader. He studied theology in Vienna (to 1808) and then was pastor at Saint Barbara's Church there (1808–13) and a professor of theology and dean of the faculty (1817–18) at Vienna University. In 1818 he was consecrated bishop of Peremyshl (see Peremyshl eparchy). As bishop he revived the eparchial theological seminary (see Peremyshl Greek Catholic Theological Seminary) and founded a valuable library and a publishing house. Under his patronage Ivan V. Lavrivsky and Ivan Mohylnytsky organized a comprehensive educational system that by 1832 included almost 400 schools. From 1824 to 1833 Snihursky also served as principal of the Peremyshl Polish gymnasium. Yustyn Zhelekhovsky published a biography of Snihursky in 1894 in Lviv.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 4 (1993).]