Taman [Taman’]. Map: VIII-17. A stanytsia and port on Taman Bay in Temriuk raion, Krasnodar krai, Russian Federation. The earliest settlement at the site was the Greek colony of Hermonassa (6th century BC). In the 8th and 9th centuries AD the territory was ruled by the Khazars. At the end of the 10th century it was annexed by Kyivan Rus’, and formed Tmutorokan principality. From the 12th century the site was occupied by a Genoese trading post. At the end of the 15th century it fell under Turkish rule, and in 1774, under Russian rule. The Black Sea Cossacks established a stanytsia there in 1792.