Tiachiv [Тячів; Tjačiv]. Map: VI-4. A city (2001 pop 9,786) on the Tysa River and a raion center in Transcarpathia oblast. It was founded in the mid-13th century and granted the status of a crown city by the Hungarian king in 1329. For centuries the town was under Austro-Hungarian rule. In the interwar period it belonged to Czechoslovakia. In 1939 it was seized by Hungary, and in October 1944 it was captured by the Red Army. In 1961 Tiachiv was promoted to city status. Since the 1870s the region has been known for its apple orchards. The city has canning, brick, and handicrafts factories. Its chief architectural monument is a Protestant church built in the Gothic style in the 13th century, and rebuilt in the 18th century.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]