Uhlytsky, Teodosii [Углицький, Теодосій; Uhlyc'kyj, Teodosij], b in the 1630s in Ulaniv, Podilia, d 5 February 1696 in Chernihiv. Orthodox churchman and saint. He studied at the Kyivan Mohyla Academy and then entered the Kyivan Cave Monastery. After serving as a deacon at Saint Sophia Cathedral he resided at the monastery near Baturyn and then became hegumen of the Korsun Saint Onuphrius’s Monastery (1662–4) and the Kyiv Vydubychi Monastery (1664–88). In 1688 he became archimandrite of the Yeletskyi Dormition Monastery in Chernihiv and assistant to Archbishop Lazar Baranovych. At the Chernihiv sobor of 1692 he was elected auxiliary bishop to Baranovych. He then traveled to Moscow to be consecrated by Patriarch Adrian. His consecration by Adrian helped to undermine the eparchy’s relationship to the metropolitan of Kyiv and increase the authority of the Moscow patriarch. Uhlytsky maintained good relations with Hetman Ivan Mazepa, however, who assisted in building new churches and monasteries. Uhlytsky also supported the Chernihiv Press. After his death his remains were associated with a number of miracles and healings, and he was canonized in 1896 (his feast day is 22 September [9 September OS]).
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]