Ukraïns’ki visti/Ukrainian News
Ukraïns’ki visti/Ukrainian News. A newspaper published in Edmonton. It began to appear in 1928 as a weekly, under the name Zakhidni visty. Published by S. Fodchuk and then Toma Tomashevsky, it was a general-interest paper concerned with economic and political affairs. Among its early editors and contributors were Vladimir Kaye-Kysilewsky, Mykhailo Pohoretsky, and M. Koziak. In 1929 it was acquired by the Edmonton eparchy of the Ukrainian Catholic church, and in January 1932 it assumed its present name. The paper publishes articles on political, cultural, and historical topics; church news; and reports on current affairs, with a focus on developments in Alberta and western Canada. For many years after the Second World War the paper was edited by Rev M. Sopuliak. The newspaper's tone and appearance were modernized during the 1980s by its present editor (2003), M. Levytsky. It also adopted a bilingual English-Ukrainian format and became a monthly.