Ukrainian Academic Society in Paris
Ukrainian Academic Society in Paris (Українське академічне товариство в Парижі; Ukrainske akademichne tovarystvo v Paryzhi). An organization founded in 1946 on the initiative of Ukrainian students in Paris. Originally a student aid society, it sponsored many public lectures, assemblies, and conferences on scholarly, cultural, and political topics, as well as concerts and commemorative and literary events, for Ukrainians living in and around Paris. The society was headed by Yurii Rusov (1946), Oleksander Shulhyn (1946–60), Oleksander Kulchytsky (1960), and Arystyd Vyrsta (after 1960). A Literary and Artistic Club was part of the society from 1955; it was headed by Marta Kalytovska (1956–66) and Kyrylo Mytrovych (from 1966). The society published an account of the first 12 years of its activity in 1958, and Arkadii Zhukovsky wrote a history of the society in 1969.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]