Volhynian Regional Studies Museum
Volhynian Regional Studies Museum [Волинський краєзнавчий музей; Volynskyi kraieznavchyi muzei]. A regional studies museum founded in Lutsk in 1929 on the basis of local archeological and ethnographic collections. During the Second World War its entire holdings were either plundered or destroyed. After the war the museum was rebuilt. The museum expanded its activities in the 1990s by becoming a centre of scholarly reserach on the history and culture of Volhynia. Its collection includes over 160,000 exhibit items held in its natural science, history, ethnography, and art sections. The Lesia Ukrainka Literary Memorial Museum in Kolodiazhne (Kovel raion, est 1949) and Viacheslav Lypynsky Memorial Museum in Zaturtsi (Lokachyn raion, est 2011) are branches of the museum. The Museum of the History of the Lutsk Brotherhood of the Elevation of the Cross, the Art Museum, and the Volhynian Icon Museum (with the collection of over 600 icons) are also sections of the museum. A guide to the museum was published in 1967, and guides to the Lesia Ukrainka museum appeared in 1969, 1971, 1976, and 1984.
[This article was updated in 2020.]