Voronizh [Вороніж; Voroniž]. Map: II-14. A town smt (2005 pop 7,652) on the Osota River in Shostka raion, Sumy oblast. The town mentioned in the chronicles under the year 1177 was destroyed by the Mongols. At the beginning of the 17th century a khutir arose on its site. It grew quickly; by 1654 it was a company town of Nizhyn regiment. With the abolition of the Hetman state Voronizh became part of Hlukhiv county in Novhorod-Siverskyi vicegerency, then Little Russia gubernia (1796–1802), and then Chernihiv gubernia. Two sugar refineries were built in the 19th century. Today it produces sugar and mixed feed. Its 18th-century Saint Michael's Church is a tourist attraction.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]