Lubny regiment [Лубенський полк; Lubenskyi polk]. An administrative territory and military formation of the Hetman state (see Regimental system) with a capital in Lubny. The regiment was formed in 1648 at the outbreak of Bohdan Khmelnytsky's uprising (see Cossack-Polish War) but in 1649 was divided into Myrhorod regiment and Kropyvna regiment. It was reconstituted in 1658 when Kropyvna regiment was abolished. Until the mid-18th century the regiment had 13 companies, and later, 23. In 1721 its population was approximately 22,000, including 10,700 Cossacks. It could field almost 2,700 infantry and 4,000 cavalry troops. According to the 1764 census the regiment encompassed 21 towns and 1,609 villages and estates and had a population of 147,000, including over 68,000 Cossacks. Its Cossacks took part in several Russian military expeditions, the Great Northern War (1700–21), the Russo-Turkish War of 1735–9, and the Seven Years' War (1756–63). In 1781 Lubny regiment was dissolved, and its territory was divided between Kyiv vicegerency and Chernihiv vicegerency.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]
Encyclopedia of Ukraine