Pelekhin, Pavlo [Пелехін, Павло; Pelexin], b 1842 in Saint Petersburg, d 1917 in Petrograd. Surgeon; son of Petro Pelekhin. He taught at the Military Medical Academy in Saint Petersburg (1868–89, as full professor from 1877). His publications dealt with the treatment of wounds, the resection of joints, ovariotomy, and pyemia. He was a pioneer in the use of antiseptics in the Russian Empire. In 1898 he made a significant donation of 90,000 Austrian kronen to the Shevchenko Scientific Society (NTSh) in Lviv for the foundation of a medical section, for surgical scholarships, and for the purchase of an NTSh building.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]
Encyclopedia of Ukraine