Nikopol or Nykopil [Нікополь or Никопіль; Nikopol or Nykopil']. Map: VI-15. A city (2018 pop 112,102) on the right bank of the Kakhovka Reservoir and a raion center in Dnipropetrovsk oblast. In the 16th century there was a portage named Mykytyn Rih at the site, and in the early 17th century the settlement of Mykytyne was established there. After the Russian army destroyed the Zaporozhian Sich in 1775, a fortified town called Sloviansk was built near Mykytyne. In 1782 it was renamed Nikopol. The chumaks passed through Nikopol on their way to the Crimea. As the Nikopol Manganese Basin began to be developed at the end of the 19th century, Nikopol’s metallurgical and machine building industries grew rapidly. Besides cranes, pipes, and metal alloys the city manufactures building materials, clothes, and food (see Nikopol Crane Plant, Nikopol Ferroalloys Plant, and Nikopol Southern Pipe Plant). It is an important river port on the Dnipro River and railway junction.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]