Pfister, Jan [Пфістер, Ян], b 3 August 1573 in Breslau (Wrocław), d before 1642 in Berezhany, Galicia. Polish sculptor of German origin. Circa 1611 he settled in Lviv and then in Berezhany. He took part in carving the decorative sculptures in the dome of the Boim Chapel in Lviv (1609–11) and engraved the side altar and the epitaphs of J. and J. Boim there. He also sculpted the burial monuments of Archbishop Jan Zamoyski in the Roman Catholic cathedral (1610), J. Swoszowski in the old Dominican church (ca 1614) in Lviv, the Ostrozky family in the cathedral in Tarnów (1620), and Adam Sieniawski in the castle chapel in Berezhany (after 1627).
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]