Bilopillia [Білопілля; Bilopillja]. Map: II-15. City (2005 pop 19,200) on the Vyr River (a tributary of the Seim River), a raion center in Sumy oblast. The town existed during the Kyivan Rus’ period under the name of Vyr and belonged to Chernihiv principality, but was destroyed during the Mongol-Tatar invasions. Bilopillia was founded in 1672 by Cossack emigrants from Right-Bank Ukraine. Before 1765 it was a free settlement of the Sumy regiment. In the 19th century a brisk trade was carried on here in agricultural products and bread. Today the town has a machine-building and a repair plant, a furniture factory, and a food industry. The Anton Makarenko Museum is located here.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 1 (1984).]