Hustynia Chronicle

Hustynia Chronicle. A 17th-century chronicle compiled at the Hustynia Trinity Monastery. The original is no longer extant, but a copy has been preserved, transcribed in the vernacular by the monk-priest M. Losytsky, at the monastery. Its author and date of compilation have not been established. The historian Anatolii Yershov thought that the work was written between 1623 and 1627 by Zakhariia Kopystensky.

The main text of the chronicle is an account of Ukrainian history from the times of Kyivan Rus’ to 1597. Although much of the information given is based on Polish, Lithuanian, Byzantine, old Rus’, and other chronicles, it is also an original history of contemporary conditions in Ukraine, its ties with Russia, the politics of the Lithuanian grand dukes, the nobility of Poland and Turkey, and the depredations of the Turks and Tatars. The chronicle ends with chapters on the origin of the Cossacks, the introduction of the Gregorian calendar, and the Church Union of Berestia. An outstanding monument of 17th-century Ukrainian historiography, its text was published in Polnoe sobranie russkikh letopisei (The Complete Collection of Rus’ Chronicles, vol 2, 1845). A modern Ukrainian version was published in Kyiv in 1985.




List of related links from Encyclopedia of Ukraine pointing to Hustynia Chronicle entry:


A referral to this page is found in 3 entries.







Click Home to get to the IEU Home page; to contact the IEU editors click Contact.
To learn more about IEU click About IEU and to view the list of donors and to become an IEU supporter click Donors.  
 

©2001 All Rights Reserved. Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies.