Iziaslav (Zaslav) [Iz'jaslav]. Map: III-7. (Photo: View of Izaislav.) Town (1981 pop 14,300) and raion center in Khmelnytskyi oblast, situated in southeastern Volhynia. Founded in 987, from the 14th century it belonged to the Ostrozky family of princes, from the 16th century to the Zasławski family of princes, and from 1673 to the Sanguszko family of princes. In 1754 it was granted the rights of Magdeburg law. Under Russian rule it was a vicegerency capital (1793–5) and a county town in Volhynia gubernia (1796–1917). Among its architectural monuments are a castle and a Roman Catholic cathedral from the 16th century; the city walls, with a gate and towers; and a palace from the 17th century.