Kakhovka Reservoir [Каховське водосховище; Kahovs'ke vodoshovyshche]. A huge reservoir created in 1956 after the dam of the Kakhovka Hydroelectric Station was built on the lower Dnieper River. It is 240 km long and up to 23 km wide and has a surface area of 2,155 sq km, a volume of 18.2 cu km, and an average depth of 8.4 m. Its level varies from 3 to 26 m. Its waters supply hydroelectric stations, the Krasnoznamianka Irrigation System and the Kakhovka Irrigation System, industrial plants, freshwater-fish farms, the North Crimean Canal and the Dnieper–Kryvyi Rih Canal. The reservoir has created a deep-water route, allowing sea ships to sail up the Dnieper.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 2 (1988).]