Kobeliaky

Image - Kobeliaky: Orthodox church.

Kobeliaky [Кобеляки; Kobeljaky]. Map: IV-15. Town (2011 pop 10,379) and raion center in Poltava oblast, situated on the Vorskla River, in the Dnieper Lowland. Known since the early 17th century, from 1648 to 1764 it was a Cossack company town in the Poltava regiment, and from 1802 to 1917 a county town in Poltava gubernia. It has a clothing factory, a large sugar refinery, a brickyard, and food-processing and light industries.

[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 2 (1988).]




List of related links from Encyclopedia of Ukraine pointing to Kobeliaky entry:


A referral to this page is found in 11 entries.



Click Home to get to the IEU Home page; to contact the IEU editors click Contact.
To learn more about IEU click About IEU and to view the list of donors and to become an IEU supporter click Donors.  
 

©2001 All Rights Reserved. Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies.