Luka-Vrublivetska [Лука-Врублівецька]. A multi-occupational site on the left bank of the Dnister River in Kamianets-Podilskyi raion, Khmelnytskyi oblast. Excavated between 1945 and 1950, the site revealed a Paleolithic occupation, a Trypilian culture settlemen, and a Cherniakhiv culture and Kyivan Rus’ habitation. The Paleolithic occupation, one of the oldest sites in Ukraine, produced examples of Mousterian flint tools. The Trypilian settlement of the fourth millennium BC revealed seven semi-pit dwellings, the largest being 45 m long and 3–5 m wide, with eleven hearths arranged on the long axis of the building. Faunal remains uncovered indicate the use of domesticated stock (cattle, horses, pigs), as well as wild animals (deer, elk, roe deer, wild boar, and bear). In addition the recovery of bone and stone implements (such as sickle blades and bow drills), ceramic vessels (often decorated with curvilinear ornamentation), and approximately 250 terra-cotta effigies of humans and animals, a few copper items (fishing hooks, awls, and small ornaments) were also recovered. These copper items constitute the oldest man-made metal objects found in Ukraine.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]