Makarushka, Ostap [Макарушка, Остап; Makaruška], b 9 August 1867 in Yavoriv, Galicia, d 24 November 1931 in Lviv. Galician philologist and pedagogue; full member of the Shevchenko Scientific Society from 1919; husband of Yevheniia Makarushka and father of Liubomyr Makarushka. After graduating from Lviv University (1894) he studied abroad and then obtained a PH D from Chernivtsi University (1904). He taught classical philology at the Ukrainian gymnasium in Kolomyia and the Academic Gymnasium of Lviv (1897–1905). He served as principal of the Ukrainian Pedagogical Society’s women teachers' seminary in Lviv (1910–21) and inspector of secondary schools run by the Ridna Shkola society (1921–31). He was also on the faculty of the Lviv (Underground) Ukrainian University. His articles and brochures dealt with topics such as Turkish loanwords (Turkisms) (1895), compound participles in the Galician-Volhynian Chronicle (1896), the life and importance of Oleksander Potebnia (1901), and Meletii Smotrytsky’s grammar (1908). He also wrote five gymnasium textbooks of classical Latin and Greek.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]