Mirny, Ivan [Мірний, Іван; Mirnyj], b 30 August 1872 in Samotiivka, Okhtyrka county, Kharkiv gubernia, d 17 March 1937 in Prague. Civic leader; husband of Zinaida Mirna. After the February Revolution of 1917 he was a member of the Central Rada and acting gubernial commissioner of Kyiv gubernia. In October he was appointed general chancellor in the General Secretariat of the Central Rada. Under the Hetman government and the Directory of the Ukrainian National Republic he served as chancery director of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. In 1919 he was a member of the Ukrainian National Republic delegation at the Paris Peace Conference, and from 1920 he served in Berlin as the financial representative of the Government-in-exile of the Ukrainian National Republic . In 1924 he settled in Prague, where he was secretary of the Ukrainian Civic Committee in Czechoslovakia, a member of the executives of several other émigré organizations, and office manager of the Ukrainian Higher Pedagogical Institute. He wrote a history of the institute (1934) and contributed to Ukrainian émigré periodicals.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]