Myrhorod regiment (Myrhorodskyi polk). An administrative territory and military formation of the Hetman state (see Regimental system). The regiment was first established in 1630 and was merged with Pereiaslav regiment in 1638. It was re-established in 1648 after the Cossacks overthrew Polish rule (see Cossack-Polish War). With its administrative center in Myrhorod, the regiment consisted of 16 companies and 2,630 registered Cossacks. The territory was well populated: in 1657 it had 30,000 inhabitants. For supporting Martyn Pushkar's rebellion the regiment was devastated by Hetman Ivan Vyhovsky in 1658. Most of its companies were transferred to Lubny regiment, and it was left with only four. In the 1670s six companies from Poltava regiment and five from Chyhyryn regiment were added to it. By 1723 Myrhorod regiment's 15 companies had a population of 16,500, including 4,800 Cossacks. Its commanders included some prominent statesmen, such as Col Matvii Hladky (1648–52) and Danylo Apostol (1683–1727). The regiment was abolished by the Russian authorities in 1782, and its territory was incorporated into Kyiv vicegerency.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]