Nauka, newspaper

Nauka, newspaper (Learning). A religious and educational Catholic newspaper published semimonthly (1897–1903), weekly (1904–12), monthly (1912–14), and again weekly (1918–22) in Uzhhorod. The organ of the Society of Saint Basil the Great to 1902 and the only populist periodical in Transcarpathia before the First World War, it was printed in the Transcarpathian dialect using etymological spelling. Its editors were the Greek Catholic priests and community figures Yu. Chuchka, Vasyl Hadzhega, Petro Gebei, Yevmenii Sabov, Avhustyn Voloshyn (1903–14, 1918–22), and Viktor Zheltvai. Much local folklore appeared in Nauka. The paper also published a bimonthly supplement of Sunday sermons, Slovo Bozhe (1905–6); a monthly illustrated supplement for the peasantry, Selo (1911–12); and a series of monthly booklets containing didactic readings. Nauka appeared under the titles Tserkov, Narod, and Eparkhiia in 1918 and as Rus’ka kraina in 1919. In 1922 it was succeeded by the newspaper Svoboda (Uzhhorod).

[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]

List of related links from Encyclopedia of Ukraine pointing to Nauka, newspaper entry:

A referral to this page is found in 4 entries.

Click Home to get to the IEU Home page; to contact the IEU editors click Contact.
To learn more about IEU click About IEU and to view the list of donors and to become an IEU supporter click Donors.  

©2001 All Rights Reserved. Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies.