Nemyrych [Nemyryč] (Polish: Niemirycz). Originally an Orthodox noble family in Right-Bank Ukraine, known from 1528. Yosyf was the judge of the Kyiv land court (1580–90). His son Andrii (d 1610) replaced him and began a branch of the family in Cherniakhiv, north of Zhytomyr. Andrii's son, Stefan (d 1630), studied before 1610 at the Altdorf Academy and Basel University in Switzerland, converted to Socinianism, and established a Socinian center in Cherniakhiv and other congregations in Volhynia. He served as chamberlain of Kyiv (ca 1623–30) and was a member of the Polish commission that negotiated the 1625 Treaty of Kurukove with the Cossacks. At the end of his life he owned 12 towns and 75 villages in Volhynia and the Kyiv region. Yurii Nemyrych and Stefan Nemyrych were his sons. Stefan's heirs continued a Polonized line of the family into the 20th century. A second line of the family, in Olevske, was descended from Yosyf's son Matvii, the founder of the Lublin Orthodox Brotherhood. It became Polonized and Catholic in the second half of the 17th century and died out in the 18th.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]