Poltava eparchy [Полтавська епархія; Poltavska eparkhiia]. An Orthodox eparchy created at the turn of the 18th century. It comprised the territory of Poltava gubernia, much of which had formerly been a part of Pereiaslav eparchy (hence, the eparchy was also known as Poltava–Pereiaslav eparchy). Poltavskie eparkhial’nye vedomosti was the official eparchial organ from 1863 to 1917. At the turn of the 20th century Poltava-Pereiaslav eparchy had over 1,100 parishes and 4 men's and 5 women's monasteries. In 1917, in addition to the titular bishop, the eparchy had one vicar bishop (in Pryluky). In the 1920s Poltava was the center of a church okruha of the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox church. An eparchy was re-established there during the Second World War, under Bishop Ihor Huba.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 4 (1993).]