Image - The facade of the Galagan palace in Sokyryntsi. Image - A pond in the Sokyryntsi park.

Sokyryntsi [Sokyrynci]. A village (2001 pop 1,386) in Sribne raion, Chernihiv oblast. It is first mentioned in the chronicles under the year 1092. As the estate of the Galagan family the locality was developed into a cultural center. A dendrological park was set up in 1763 and redesigned as a landscape park in 1825–35, a vertep puppet theater was established in 1781, and a palace was built by the architect P. Dubrovsky in 1829. The kobzar Ostap Veresai lived in Sokyryntsi in the 19th century. One of the first co-operatives in Ukraine, an agricultural credit union, was organized in Sokyryntsi by Hryhorii Galagan in 1871. Today the Galagan palace and park are used by an agricultural tekhnikum.

[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 4 (1993).]

Image - The facade of the Galagan palace in Sokyryntsi. Image - The Galagan palace in the park in Sokyryntsi. Image - Sokyryntsi park: alley from the main gate. Image - A gothic bridge in the Sokyryntsi park. Image - Sokyryntsi park: the main gate. Image - A rotunda in the Sokyryntsi park.

List of related links from Encyclopedia of Ukraine pointing to Sokyryntsi entry:

A referral to this page is found in 11 entries.

Click Home to get to the IEU Home page; to contact the IEU editors click Contact.
To learn more about IEU click About IEU and to view the list of donors and to become an IEU supporter click Donors.  

©2001 All Rights Reserved. Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies.