Sudbury. A city (2016 pop 88,054; metropolitan pop 164,689) in northern Ontario, and the world’s largest nickel producer and Canada’s largest copper producer. Immigrants from Western Ukraine began to work in the mines as early as 1904. In 1914 the Ukrainian Catholics built a small frame church, which was replaced in 1928 with Saint Mary’s Church. The local branch of the Ukrainian National Federation (est 1933) maintained a Ukrainian school, the Dnipro Choir, an orchestra, a folk dance group, and, after the Second World War, the Tryzub sports club. In 1935 the Buduchnist food co-operative, which is still the only Ukrainian food co-operative in Ontario, was organized. Sudbury’s first Ukrainian credit union opened in 1944. Of organizations established after the Second World War, the branches of the Ukrainian Youth Association and the Canadian League for Ukraine’s Liberation have been most active. In 1981 approximately 5,300 of the residents of the Sudbury metropolitan area were of Ukrainian origin. In 1991, 1,205 inhabitants declared the Ukrainian language as their mother tongue.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]