Transfiguration Church (Preobrazhenska tserkva). (Photo: Transfiguration Church.) A monument of baroque architecture in Velyki Sorochyntsi (now in Poltava oblast), built in 1732. Its construction and decoration were funded by Hetman Danylo Apostol. Built on a cruciform plan, the original church had nine domes. After a fire in 1811 the four corner domes were dismantled. The central dome rests on a 12-sided cylinder surrounded by four octagonal and four square chambers. The pilasters, cornices, and fronts are decorated with carved classical and folk designs. The Apostol family coat of arms is painted on the vestibule wall. The carved wooden iconostasis contains over 100 icons, which are rich in genre elements.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]