Ukraïns’ke slovo (1915–18)
Ukraïns’ke slovo (1915–18) (Ukrainian Word). A daily newspaper published in Lviv from July 1915 to November 1918. Initially, under the editorship of Fed Fedortsiv and Stepan Charnetsky, it supported the positions of the General Ukrainian Council. Ivan Krypiakevych, Mykhailo Yatskiv, and H. Mykytei were regular contributors. In 1916 the newspaper's charter was acquired by Rev Tyt Voinarovsky-Stolobut, who had earlier published Nove slovo. Although Charnetsky continued to edit the paper, it changed its political orientation and began to support Yevhen Petrushevych in his opposition to the General Ukrainian Council. After Charnetsky, Sydir Holubovych edited the paper. Ukraïns’ke slovo was closed down by the Polish authorities.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]