Ukrainske Vydavnytstvo (Українське видавництво; Ukrainian Publishing House). A publishing house founded in March 1916 in Katerynoslav (now Dnipro). Directed by Yevhen Vyrovy, by the end of 1916 it had published over a dozen children's books and popular educational books. In 1919 it became a co-operative venture and printed its books in Kamianets-Podilskyi, Vienna, Leipzig, Berlin, and finally Prague. It was nationalized in 1921. By 1925 it had issued 68 titles with a combined pressrun of 591,200 copies. They included brief histories of Ukrainian culture (by Ivan Ohiienko) and literature (Serhii Yefremov), books on the history of Ukraine (Dmytro Doroshenko) and ancient Rome and Greece (M. Kovalevsky), Modest Levytsky’s Ukrainian grammar, S. Ivanytsky and F. Shumliansky’s Russian-Ukrainian dictionary, the Iaryna primer and reader by A. Voronets, pedagogical booklets and stories by Sofiia Rusova, over 15 collections of children's stories and folktales, Vasyl Simovych’s edition of Taras Shevchenko’s Kobzar, and 10 stories and novelettes by Andrii Kashchenko.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]