Uman Regional Studies Museum
Uman Regional Studies Museum (Уманський краєзнавчий музей; Umanskyi kraieznavchyi muzei). A museum founded in 1917 in Uman under the direction of Petro Kurinny. Large archeological and ethnographic collections, a library, a collection of early books, and a picture gallery were created, including artworks and artifacts confiscated from local nobles. From 1922 to the mid-1930s the museum was called the Socio-Historical Museum of Uman Okruha. Its large collection of autographs was transferred to Kyiv in the mid-1930s. The museum has over 50,000 exhibit items, including objects of the prehistoric Trypilian culture, Bilohrudivka culture, and Cherniakhiv culture and of the Scythians, a collection of 17th-century ceramic tiles (see Ceramics), and materials pertaining to the Cossacks of the Uman regiment. The museum has four branches: the art gallery, the Uman Region Museum of Culture and Folkways, the Museum of Writers and Artists of the Uman Region, and the Nadiia Surovtsova Memorial Museum.
[This article was updated in 2011.]